Thursday, April 18, 2013

On Chemo Treatment (Humor and Equanimity)

“ … cancer sucks and chemo sucks, and why the hell are there no drugs that feel good and kill cancer.”


Conversation with his hairdresser after 2008 chemo treatment:
Hairdresser: “But you were grey, almost white, and your hair was curly and course.  Now it’s chesnut, straight, and fine.”
John: “Yup.”
HD: “How’d that happen?”
J: “Color by Chemo.  I don’t recommend it.”

Conversation with dermatologist when first lesions appeared in 2008
On March 21st, I met with the dermatologist, who examined the area and seemed quite bemused.  This doc was probably late forties or early fifties.  Clearly, he had seen skin lesions of numerous types, and yet, “What is it?” was repeatedly met with “I don’t know.”  I remember joking that his group should change their sign from “Advanced Dermatology” to “Not So Advanced Dermatology.”

Comments and conversations about chemo’s crazy toxicity
2008 Chemo treatment (escaping the chemo ward)
We decided to go to the courtyard.  As we approached the elevator, a nurse came running toward us and with some apparent consternation asked, “Where are you going?”  We told her that we were going to the courtyard for some air.  “You can’t do that!” she responded in an urgent tone.  “Why not?”  I asked.  “Because, if your chemo bag broke or leaked, we’d have to call HAZMAT.”  She wasn’t kidding.

2008 Chemo treatment (sneaking away from sleeping Lynnee)
I don’t recall, I think Lynn stayed over and slept in a chair that night.  During the course of the night, in addition to the chemo, I was feeling the effects of nicotine withdrawal.  With the first dousing of chemo complete, I had only a saline drip hanging.  So, I asked the nurse on shift if I could bum a cigarette (she smoked), go to the courtyard, and quell my nicotine DTs.  “Absolutely not,” she said.  “Cigarettes are bad for you.”  “Yes,” I said, “But really, you are pouring chemicals into me that should they leak, you’d have to call a HAZMAT team to clean up.  Really, how much is a cigarette going to impact my chances of survival?”  I still find that whole memory surreal.

2008 Chemo treatment (the infamous “double flush”)
More recently, I was given an obligatory, “Instructions for Oncology Patients” handout.  It included symptoms and a standard “Please call your Doctor or Home Health Nurse if you have any of the following occur when you are home” sections.  Nothing new here except and in bold-faced type, “Double flush your toilet for 24 hours after receiving chemotherapy.”  I had never seen that before.  So, I queried the nurse about it.  “What’s with the double flush thing?” I asked.  “It’s precautionary,” she said.  “Might residual chemo hurt a pet if it drank out of a toilet that was flushed once?”  Again, she responded, “It’s precautionary.”  “Yeah, I get that, but we don’t have a dog and, as far as I know, my wife hasn’t drank out of the toilet for many years now.  Could the chemo pee or poop eat through the porcelain?” I asked.  “Look, it’s just precautionary,” she said again.  “Might someone using the same once flushed toilet have their pubic hairs fall out?  Or, will the single-flushed water generate a chemical chemo hand that grabs a user’s genitals and pulls them in?”  In short, I never did get beyond, “It’s precautionary.”  I’ll keep on it and let you know… The double flush remains a mystery.

5 comments:

  1. Humorous tidbit,
    After one of those early chemo treatments, John and I were enjoying a libation on the deck and settling the affairs of the world. After a while, he got up and went to the trees to relieve himself. He had told me of the toxic nature of his pee, so, in fun, I asked him what would it do to the tree. He told me if the needles started to drop off the tree, I should cut it down. I asked him why. His response, in mid stream,----"It's precautionary." True story!! The tree---it survived the pee, but is leaning to port following hurrican Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if anyone was recording some of the family stories that are being shared so, when the time comes, Annabel and Eliza can listen to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just hear John telling these items as I read them. He is still making me laugh. Thanks for posting these Lynn...I know they are helping me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading "Juan-John"'s journal entries--his unflaggingly witty observations on all topics--reminds me of his speech at our wedding three years ago. The day was a blur and I don't remember every detail of what he said, but I do remember my heart swelling with love and gratitude as I listened to him speak. He talked about enduring love and commitment...about partnership and parenthood...about passion and even *gasp* sex! He was the last speaker, and he brought down the house. The people who came to share the day with us were laughing and crying at the same time. In true Juan-John style, he mixed observations from his own experience with his uniquely articulate speaking style, spiced the whole thing up with some inappropriate jokes and his own loud laughter, and created a magical few minutes that I will remember for my whole life. Thank you, Grandpa Juan-John.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just loved the "double-flush"! Typical John. And Lynn, I hope you are not drinking from the toilet!!

    ReplyDelete